Sunday, July 18, 2010

Self-made Sunday: trailers

Always wanted to own a bicycle trailer but never had the money to buy one? Here are some ideas to get you started on building one yourself. If you have succeeded, let us know!

The first time I thought about a post about self-made trailers when I came across this beauty on the WNBR in June. It's simply a lowered shopping cart with a welded on frame that connects it to the wheels and the bicycle. Smart idea!

self-made trailer

self-made hanger

If would like to build your own cargo trailer, I recommend to have a look at:
How to Build a Bicycle Cargo Trailer 1 (on wikihow.com, including many pictures)
How to Build a Bicycle Cargo Trailer 2 (on ehow.com)
Bicycle Trailer (from a plastic box)
Build a Bicycle Trailer (more of a text instruction)
Building a bicycle trailer (lot of links to DIY trailers, and load carrying alternatives)
Bamboo Bicycle Trailer (free plans)

There are many ways to build a bicycle trailer. Find your own style!

5 comments:

Edward Scoble said...

I actually made one with the least amount of effort, basically I found an old child trailer that has been thrown away, ripped off the fabric and metal until I got to the bare frame, put some wood on it, some duct tape and bingo.

need a trailer to move houses, and much cheaper than buying a trailer (like the carry freedom one)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh167/edscoble/moving2.jpg?t=1279728020

anna said...

@ Ed Scoble: Nice construction, thanks for sharing it!

Amber said...

I agree with your blog title! Do you know much about old European bikes? I am trying to find out a bit more about one I just bought. You can see it on my blog. http://amberbyday.blogspot.com/
Cheers!

Daaniel Burling said...

Healthy information sharing this post. I appreciate to you. Bike trailer is really essential for women bike rider. You can carrying your kids easily.

Herry Johnson said...

Get services for sydney trailers, box trailers, trailer, aluminium tool boxes, bike trailer, tipper trailer and best trailers.

Post a Comment