Thursday, January 29, 2009

Public transport is too slow. And no fun.

Today was a lovely morning - snowing, a little bit of snow on the road and not too cold. I enjoy riding in this weather, cause it wakes me up and I get nice red cheeks.

But then it happened. When I wanted to cycle home in the evening I discovered my flat rear tire. Again. (That just happened a few weeks ago.) Most likely it was caused by grit (crushed stone they put on the road here in the winter for more grip - but also for more flat tires). Maybe I should have learned something from the last time. Last time I had to walk my bike 3km home, because I didn't have my repair kit with me. But on the other hand, that was my first flat tire in years. I don't want to carry around my repair kit all the time if I only have a flat tire every ten years or so. And to be honest I also wouldn't want to carry it around if I had a flat tire every month.. But well, that's why I had to leave my bike at the bike rack and had to use public transport. I hate public transport, especially in the winter. I have to wait in the cold for ages, it's crowded and it takes forever (well, at least twice as long as with the bicycle). And I need to walk a lot. I was tired and I didn't want to walk.. Hm, I had to anyway. Tomorrow morning I will have to take the tram again and therefore have to get up 30min earlier. But I will take the repair kit with me and fix my bike as soon as I get there ;-).














Photos: 1
lady in red at the subway station with a stylish blue Ortlieb bicycle bag (they are waterproof!), 2 some people cover their bike seat with a plastic bag if they have to leave it outside (quite practical), 3 traffic on a usual winter morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I came across your blog and enjoy it! :) I was sightseeing in Vienna, Austria last September and enjoyed it very much. I think it's a beautiful city. :) I live in Washington, D.C. and bike to work each day (32 miles roundtrip), year-round. We just had our first snowfall of the year this week. :) It's good to carry a repair kit with you when you bike, as you can see, it comes in handy... :) I've passed a number of cyclists who don't carry a kit or even a pump, and they end up walking the bike for a long ways. Much easier and faster to carry the kit & pump and fix it up right away. :) I also carry a spare inner tube, just in case. All of this doesn't take up much room in your bag. :)

Good luck biking and give my regards to Vienna! :)

Charmaine

Anonymous said...

Hallo!

Well,you know, i allways have my repair cit in my bag - and i never need it... if i do not forget to take it: Than i will certainly have a problem and need it.
So, for example, i had to pull my byke home- after a party, at 2 a.m. and being very tired + a rainy night.

Nice blog!

Post a Comment